Horse Installment Sale Contract
Form Requirements: Adobe Acrobat Reader 9.3 or higher.
Get Adobe Acrobat Reader
See Other Horse Sale Forms – link to new page 3.
See Horse Purchase Forms – link to new page 4
Who Should Buy the Equine Sale Contract with Payments
Horse sellers who are selling a horse to a buyer who will make payments over time on the horse’s purchase price.
How the Horse Sale Contract with Payments Form Protects You
- Customizable provisions for deposit and payment schedule, including what happens to deposit and payments if the horse buyer defaults or the horse seller repossesses the horse.
- The horse seller has the right to repossess the horse if the buyer defaults on payments or the horse is not being properly cared for.
- Customizable provisions for insurance on the horse, including what types of insurance are required (if any), and who must obtain and pay for them.
- The horse buyer assumes all risk of injury to or loss of the horse during the payment period.
- The horse buyer agrees to indemnify the horse seller if the horse seller is sued because of something that happens during the payment period (i.e., horse kicks someone).
- The horse buyer agrees to hold the seller and the seller’s employees, agents, etc. harmless from liability associated with injury to the horse buyer caused by the horse during the payment period or post-sale.
- The horse buyer assumes all responsibility for the horse's care and expenses.
- The horse seller can specify details of how the horse must be cared for during the payment period, such as feed, supplements, farrier care, etc.
- The horse buyer agrees to keep the horse at a specified location during the payment period and not move the horse without the horse seller's permission.
- Section for the horse seller to specify what the horse buyer can and can't do with the horse during the payment period, including who can ride the horse, jumping limitations, bits, and more.
- The horse seller can check on the horse during the payment period and take possession of the horse if the horse is not being properly cared for.
- The horse seller can retain the horse’s registration papers until the buyer pays in full.
- The horse seller has a choice of making no representations at all, or making limited representations, about the horse’s soundness, health and behavior.
- The horse seller has a choice of providing all of the horse’s vet records to the buyer, some vet records, or no vet records.
- The horse seller’s maximum liability under the sale contract is limited to the amount of the purchase price actually paid by the horse buyer.
- The horse seller disclaims all warranties except those specifically stated in contract (if any).
Optional Provisions in the Equine Installment Sale Contract
- Horse seller has the option of retaining a right of first refusal if the buyer later sells or gives away the horse.
- Horse seller can provide information about the horse’s health and care.
- Horse seller can provide information about the horse’s behavior and training.
The Horse Installment Sale Agreement Works For
- Individual horse owners
- Horse trainers
- Horse breeding farms
- Horse sale agents
- Equine consignment barns
- Horse auctions
- Individuals as well as partnerships, LLCs, corporations and other business entities.
The Horse Sale Agreement with Payments Form Doesn’t Work For
- Buying a horse. See Our Horse Purchase Forms – link to new page 4.
- Horse sales subject to a vet check. See Our Other Horse Sale Forms – link to new page 3.
- Horse sales subject to a trial period. See Our Other Horse Sale Forms – link to new page 3.
- Horse sales in which the buyer pays the purchase price in full at the time of sale.
- Horse sales with retained breeding rights. The terms of horse sales that include post-sale breeding rights are unique to each sale, and therefore we do not offer forms for those types of sales. If you are selling a stallion or mare and retaining breeding rights, please consider a customized horse sale contract with breeding rights.
About Our Horse Sale Forms
Equine Legal Solutions offers a wide variety of horse sale contracts, all written by our equine attorney. Our equine sale forms are all fillable PDFs that you can use as many times as you like, and they come with free lifetime updates. As soon as you purchase one of our horse bills of sale, you will receive an email containing a link to a secure download page and download instructions. It's fast, it's easy and it's secure.