Horse Sale Contract with Vet Check
Form Requirements: Adobe Acrobat Reader 9.3 or higher.
Get Adobe Acrobat Reader
See Other Horse Sale Forms – link to new page 3.
See Horse Purchase Forms – link to new page 4
Who Should Buy the Horse Sale Contract with Pre-purchase Vet Exam
Horse sellers who are selling a horse to a buyer who will make payments over time on the horse’s purchase price.
How the Horse Vet Check Sale Contract Form Protects You
- The horse seller specifies a period of time during which the pre-purchase vet exam must be conducted.
- The horse buyer is responsible for scheduling and paying for all pre-purchase exams, including x-rays and other diagnostics, regardless of outcome.
- The vet check is not pass/fail. Instead, the horse buyer has the opportunity to obtain a pre-purchase vet check and can decide whether or not to purchase the horse.
- The horse seller can specify that if the horse buyer decides not to buy the horse, the horse buyer must release the pre-purchase exam records to the horse seller.
- Customizable provisions for what happens if the horse seller receives another offer to purchase the horse before the horse buyer has decided whether or not to buy the horse.
- The horse buyer agrees to hold the seller and the seller’s employees, agents, etc. harmless from liability associated with injury to the horse buyer caused by the horse during the vet check period or post-sale.
- The horse seller has a choice of making no representations at all, or making limited representations, about the horse’s soundness, health and behavior.
- The horse seller has a choice of providing all of the horse’s vet records to the buyer, some vet records, or no vet records.
- The horse seller’s maximum liability under the sale contract is limited to the amount of the purchase price actually paid by the horse buyer.
- The horse seller disclaims all warranties except those specifically stated in contract (if any).
Optional Provisions in the Equine Pre-Purchase Vet Exam Sale Form
- Horse seller has the option of retaining a right of first refusal if the buyer later sells or gives away the horse.
- Horse seller can provide information about the horse’s health and care.
- Horse seller can provide information about the horse’s behavior and training.
The Horse Sale Agreement with Pre-purchase Exam Works For
- Individual horse owners
- Horse trainers
- Horse breeding farms
- Horse sale agents
- Equine consignment barns
- Horse auctions
- Individuals as well as partnerships, LLCs, corporations and other business entities.
The Horse Sale Contract with Pre-Purchase Exam Doesn’t Work For
- Buying a horse. See Our Horse Purchase Forms – link to new page 4.
- Horse sales subject to a vet check. See Our Other Horse Sale Forms – link to new page 3.
- Horse sales subject to a trial period. See Our Other Horse Sale Forms – link to new page 3.
- Horse sales in which the buyer pays the purchase price in full at the time of sale.
- Horse sales with retained breeding rights. The terms of horse sales that include post-sale breeding rights are unique to each sale, and therefore we do not offer forms for those types of sales. If you are selling a stallion or mare and retaining breeding rights, please consider a customized horse sale contract with breeding rights.
About Our Horse Sale Forms
Equine Legal Solutions offers a wide variety of horse sale contracts, all written by our equine attorney. Our equine sale forms are all fillable PDFs that you can use as many times as you like, and they come with free lifetime updates. As soon as you purchase one of our horse bills of sale, you will receive an email containing a link to a secure download page and download instructions. It's fast, it's easy and it's secure.