Simple Horse Purchase Agreement Form
Form Requirements: Adobe Acrobat Reader 9.3 or higher.
Get Adobe Acrobat Reader
Buy Other Horse Purchase Forms – link to new page 4.
Buy Horse Sale Forms – link to new page 3.
Who Should Buy the Simple Horse Purchase Form
Horse purchasers who are buying a horse not subject to a vet check or trial period, and the entire purchase price is due at the time of sale.
How the Simple Horse Purchase Form Protects You
- The seller represents that the horse is currently healthy and sound and has no history of health or soundness issues (unless the seller specifies otherwise).
- The seller informs the buyer whether the horse has had any genetic testing, such as for HYPP, and if so, what the results were.
- The seller provides the buyer with contact information for all veterinarians who have seen the horse while the seller has owned it, and agrees to release veterinary records to the buyer.
- The seller represents that the horse has never had any surgical procedures (unless the seller specifies otherwise).
- The seller represents that no one other than the buyer has had a veterinarian perform a pre-purchase examination of the horse (unless the seller specifies otherwise).
- The seller provides the buyer with the horse’s training history, including contact information for the horse’s trainers.
- The seller represents that the horse does not currently have any bad habits, or have any history of bad habits, such as cribbing or rearing (unless the seller specifies otherwise).
- The buyer specifies what the buyer intends to do with the horse, and the seller represents that the seller does not have any reason to believe the horse would not be suitable for the buyer’s intended use.
- The seller represents that they are the sole registered and lawful owner of the horse, and that there are no liens on the horse (unless the seller specifies otherwise).
- The seller retains the risk of loss of and injury to the horse until the buyer takes possession of the horse.
Optional Provisions in Simple Equine Purchase Form
- Horse seller has the option of retaining a right of first refusal if the buyer later sells or gives away the horse.
The Simple Horse Purchase Agreement Works For
- All horse buyers
- Individuals as well as partnerships, LLCs, corporations and other business entities.
The Simple Equine Purchase Agreement Doesn’t Work For
- Selling a horse. See Our Horse Sale Forms – link to new page 3.
- Horse purchases subject to a vet check, trial period or other conditions. See Our Other Horse Purchase Forms – link to new page 4.
- Horse purchase in which the buyer makes payments (installment sales). See Our Other Horse Purchase Forms – link to new page 4.
- Horse purchases with retained breeding rights. The terms of horse purchases that include post-sale breeding rights are unique to each transaction, and therefore we do not offer forms for those types of transactions. If you are purchasing a stallion or mare and the seller is retaining breeding rights, please consider a customized horse purchase contract.
About Our Horse Purchase Forms
Equine Legal Solutions offers a wide variety of horse purchase contracts, all written by our equine attorney. Our equine purchase forms are all fillable PDFs that you can use as many times as you like, and they come with free lifetime updates. As soon as you purchase one of our horse bills of sale, you will receive an email containing a link to a secure download page and download instructions. It's fast, it's easy and it's secure.